Sunday, March 13, 2011

My Friday Night

I'll start this story by saying I love my mom and sister and know they always worry about me. But Friday night they took their worrying to the next level.

I left right after work for my trip to Pittsburgh. Right off the bat, I hit wall-to-wall traffic, which I guess I should have expected on a Friday evening. So, to relieve some boredom, I decided to call my sister. We chatted for about 30-40 minutes, nothing extra long. Then I drove on for another 2 hours and decided to call my mom. We were chatting for about 30 minutes, when in mid-sentence, my phone died. 

My phone (Samsung Rogue) has the shortest battery life ever. Those two conversations, along with some Internet browsing during the day, drained the battery. 

Now, I figured since I was cut off mid-sentence, my mother would figure it was a phone issue. But I knew in the back of my mind, I should figure out a way to get in contact with her. So at the next rest stop, I hopped in for some Starbucks (obviously) and to see if I could find an outlet to plug in my phone. 

No outlets. Fine. I'll use the payphone (how 1990's of me?)

I head over to the payphone and I see a giant "OUT OF ORDER" sign. Ugh. Alright, well, I only had an hour left, so I figured it would be fine. I would call when I got there. 

I finally arrive and get up to Amanda's front door when she swings it open and screams "Where in the hell have you been? We're worried sick!"

Apparently, my sister and mom had called Amanda's house looking for me when I failed to answer my cell. In turn, Amanda had called her mom and sister asking about accidents reported in the area. Between all of them, they had the accident reports, local hospitals, and police phone numbers pulled up online. My sister was literally getting ready to get in her car and drive down the Turnpike looking for me when I called and reported my safe arrival. 

Apparently, my cell phone doesn't go straight to voicemail when it's off (like other normal phones.) It rings first. Leading everyone to believe I was laying in a ditch somewhere. 

But I'm happy to report that I made it safely. And my mother and sister worried themselves sick (literally) for nothing. It's nice to know they care though :) 

No comments: