Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sisterly Love

This weekend, my sister came for a visit since Nile is away. We had a great time, doing some pretty ordinary things.


Friday: We went out for sushi at the Red Parrot Asian Bistro, then headed to the mall where we hit up the Bath and Body Works sale (hand soap - 7 for $20. A steal.) Then we watched Julie and Julia...well I watched it while she fell asleep with Peanut in her lap. Getting up at 4 AM to make the donuts will do that to you :)


Saturday: We had a lovely manicure planned at a local spa. However, we woke up to a blizzard that the very accurate meteorologists in Maryland predicted would pass over. Well, we had to cancel the appointment at the spa, but I wasn't going to let the snow keep me homebound. We headed bravely in the Camry to battle the snow, and go get our nails done by the nice Asian ladies down the street. It wasn't exactly a 'spa' experience, but it was the best we could do in 5 inches of snow. 


Then, we hit up Big Lots for some sweat deals on things like Listerine (exciting, I know), and headed to Giant and Target. So ordinary, but so fun when my sister is around. Coming from our remote hometown, going to places like Target makes her super happy (since the nearest Target to her is 30 miles away.)


We came home to defrost and have a look at all our purchases, and then ordered more sushi (something else she doesn't get at home.) Then we busted out my fondue pot (given to me by my mom, who got it as a wedding gift in 1980 when they were all the rage), and made milk chocolate fondue with strawberries. Heavenly. All I did was add milk chocolate chips, and about 1/2 cup of heavy cream to the fondue pot. You can pretty much dip anything in this you can get your hands on. I'm pretty sure a flip flop would have been delightful dipped in this chocolate. 


She left today, which is always sad. That's the one thing I miss about not living in PA...doing ordinary thing with family. Some nights, I wish I could stop by my parents house for dinner, or have my sister over to watch a movie. But that's the price I pay for moving away from home. Oh well, at least we're not in Jersey. 


I'm headed to pick Nile up from the airport soon because shockingly, his flight is on time! Way to go, American Airlines! 

No comments: