Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Remember When Snow Was Fun?

I'm beginning to develop a love/hate relationship with snow. When you were a kid, snow was fun! Mostly due to the fact that you got snow days. I remember waking up at 5 AM (an hour I usually didn't see), just to listen to the radio in hopes that they would say..."Mifflin County Schools are CLOSED!" Woohoo! Then you could spend the day making snowmen, going sledding, making snow angels, and then come back inside all snot-faced only to have your mother present you with a cup of steaming hot chocolate. With marshmallows. Maybe some Campbell's soup. Chicken noodle.


Anyway, I digress. What they don't tell you when you're a kid is that someday you'll grow up, and unless you're a teacher, snow days will no longer be a part of your life. Instead, they're replaced with immense amounts of shoveling and salting the sidewalks, and driving your non- 4 wheel drive vehicle through the streets of your town that were obviously neglected by the municipal plow. 


So, to my point...I still like the snow sometimes. Let's go over my list of pros and cons. 

I love snow when:
  • It's freshly fallen
  • It gets me out of doing something I don't want to do
  • I don't have to go anywhere but my couch
  • I can watch Nile shovel it
I hate snow when:
  • It's grossly mixed with mud, stones and dog feces
  • I have to drive in it
  • It's significant enough for me to have to drag my butt outside to help shovel
  • It fouls up my really fun weekend plans
This weekend, we're bracing for the next big snowstorm of the year. What's wrong with this statement? WEEKEND! Why does it always have to ruin my WEEKEND! According to the latest weather reports, the Baltimore metropolitan area is supposed to see at least a foot, possibly 20 inches.

Let's recap the last snowstorm that hit Baltimore on 12/19/09, setting records throughout Maryland:

Our area got 24 inches...yes...2 FEET of snow


This was our deck halfway through the day.


And here's Wiggles enjoying the view from the deck. He made yellow snow many times that day.

Here's Nile, super-excited about all the shoveling he had to do that day. I helped!...kinda :)

And this is Nile measuring the snow in lengths of "Peanut"... For example - "On December 19, 2009, we had approximately 2/3 of a Peanut worth of snow." Look how happy she is! Really...she loves the snow. Just not when we're holding her in it.

It looks like we'll be gearing up for more of the white stuff this weekend. I better go get my bread, milk and toilet paper.


No comments: