Saturday, January 9, 2010

Starting Out

For a long time, I've read blogs, studied the benefits of blogs for my job, written blog posts for other people, and searched blog archives to find everything from a great recipe to advice on how to train a stubborn pug puppy. However, now I've decided that it's my turn to try my hand in the blogosphere. I would say my life if pretty ordinary, and consists of the everyday activities that most other people in the world experience. Wake up, go to work, come home, cook dinner, watch TV, go to bed. Over the past year, however, my grandmother was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer which kind of puts everyday life into a different perspective.

When she was diagnosed in May 2009, I bought a little sign for my mother, sister and I that said "Celebrate Life". I've hung it on my desk at work to remind myself to do that every single day. Life has definitely changed for my husband and I over the past year. Last year at this time, we were living in NJ, he had just been laid off from his job, and we were just trying to figure out how to get along with my salary and his unemployment. Truth be told, we hated NJ...we just wanted to get out. Then a colleague of mine shared a job opening in Maryland. The rest is history. Needless to say, this year, we both have great jobs that we enjoy, we've moved to MD which we love and we're closer to our best friends and family.

So, this year, we'd like to celebrate our everyday lives by doing things that are out of the ordinary. In college, we had a passion for volunteer work, so this year we're going to bring that back into our lives. We'll travel, try new things, and of course spend as much time as we can with the friends and family we love the most. I'll be documenting our life in 2010, and sharing things that I've learned along the way. We'll still have those days where all we'll do is lay around on the couch, watching movies, and eating takeout, but who doesn't need a day of rest every once in a while? :)

No comments: