Thursday, August 18, 2011

Team Nana Rides Again

It's T-minus 9 days until the big 5K. How am I feeling about it? Terrible. I was doing great before vacation. Running a mile straight. Then, I went to Costa Rica and came back a slug. My legs don't work. I feel like I'm running with weights in my socks.


But I have to keep on keeping on. I've run twice this week. Both major disasters. I waved to a grandma in a wheelchair who was lapping me (not really but that's what it felt like.)


I just have to remember that this is all for good reason (minus decreasing the fat on my ass.) This is the second year that my family and I have participated in the Free to Breathe 5K Run/Walk. Here's the post with pictures from last year. 

Here's my last photo with her 
And here's the poem I wrote that was read at her funeral

And though lung cancer is one of the deadliest forms of cancer out there, it's still the most undetectable. Screenings are outrageously expensive...even for those people with high risk factors. Typically, it isn't found until it's spread to other organs, like the brain. Which is how we found out about Nana. 


And though I'm not one to ask for money, I will put this out there. Please consider donating to our team. This money goes to the National Lung Cancer Partnership, which promotes education and awareness about lung cancer. 


Thanks for your support!

No comments: