Friday, January 21, 2011

I Heart the Kindle

Before hubs left for his long work journey, my very generous mother bought him a Kindle. It would have been hard for him to lug a bunch of books around because he didn't have a whole lot of luggage space.



Now that he's home for a while, I've decided to hijack it and try it out for myself. Since the whole eReader phenomenon began, I've been pretty skeptical. Personally, I like the feel of a book, looking at the books on my shelf, going to bookstores and spending hours finding something new. And now, Paperbackswap.com (see my post on that here.) 

So, I downloaded my first book (Cutting for Stone), which was $5 and is a New York Times Bestseller (so it's not something from the bargain bin.) That would be the first plus. It was cheaper on the Kindle than buying it in paperback. Although, I think this is rare. Books seem to range from $3.99 - $9.99.

For reading, it's been quite lovely. The page turn buttons are right at your fingertips. You can mark your page and even highlight and make notes. The screen isn't backlit, which means it's easier on your eyes and the readability isn't compromised in bright sunlight (like the beach or your favorite park bench.) For those of you that have the Nook or are wondering the difference...the Nook is backlit. It makes it harder on your eyes.

If you feel inclined to read in the dark, perhaps while your partner is sleeping, while you're camping, or while on a plane, I suggest purchasing the cover with the book light built in. Trust me, it will come in handy. It's a little pricey at $60, but it's worth it.

It has wireless access, so you can literally buy thousands of books with the click of a button. Which is really, really dangerous. It's automatically hooked up to my Amazon account, which has my credit card on file. Yikes.

It also has fun, addicting word games. Like word jumbles and scrabble. And a majority of them are free. Bonusss!

In short, I highly recommend it if you are an avid reader. I'm pretty sure at some point in the future, everyone will have one. Kind of like the iPod.

Also, I'm always looking for new books to read, so if you have some recommendations, I would love to hear them!

No comments: