Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Muffins

Typically when it comes to baking, I'm a boxed mix kind of girl. I don't do well with precise measurements (perhaps it's the whole "I suck at math" thing.) We all know that in baking, you need to be pretty precise. Which is why my creations usually turn out lacking a little bit of something. Especially when I'm trying to make it healthier. 


Last night, however, I threw caution to the wind (rebel!) and baked some muffins. From scratch. And guess what? They were pretty darn tasty! I adapted this recipe for Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Muffins from Annie's Eats. Enjoy!


Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Muffins

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 tsp. baking power
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. applesauce (unsweetened)
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup mashed banana (this was 2 medium bananas for me)
6 tbsp. creamy reduced fat peanut butter
1 cup low-fat buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tin with liners or spray with nonstick spray. In a medium bowl, combine flours, oats, baking soda, baking power and salt. Stir to combine. In another bowl, combine vanilla, applesauce, brown sugar, eggs, banana, peanut butter and buttermilk. Blend with a whisk. Combine the two ingredients until incorporated well. Spoon into muffin tin. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. You can top these with some additional peanut butter, but I left mine alone.

And you know the best way to mash a banana? With your hands. Clean hands, of course. 




No comments: