Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Small Victories

My new motto is "Small Victories."

Whenever I would get frustrated with something, or feel completely overwhelmed about something in my life, my mom would always remind me to "take it one day at a time." That phrase is so cliche, but truer words have never been spoken.

When I feel like something is completely unattainable, such as losing 40 pounds, I have to remember to take it one day at a time and break it down into more managable chunks.

Small victories for my weight loss can be as simple as saying "No thanks" to a piece of office birthday cake or going 5 more minutes on the Elliptical, or dragging my ass to the gym when all I want to do it sit on the couch and watch Real Housewives of Orange County (don't judge me.)

In keeping with that theme, my small victory for today was dragging my sorry behind to the gym, even though I had a massive headache.

My workout looked a little something like this:

30 minutes of cardio (15 elliptical, 15 treadmill)
5 sets of 10 bicep curls
5 sets of 10 tricep dips
5 sets of 20 on the ab machine at 35 pounds
5 sets of 20 crunches on the floor
3 full body planks held for 30 seconds each


Nile busted his ass on the elliptical for 35-40 minutes, so that's his small victory for the day.

And then we nommed on a healthy dinner of Tomato-Basil Chicken with Brown Rice and Snow Peas.

The tomato-basil sauce on the chicken is a recipe courtesy of my friend Amanda (super health and fitness nazi, and totally an inspiration to me). I've used this sauce on chicken, fish, and on pasta. Totally delicious and really easy to make.

Tomato Basil Sauce

2 small tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup fresh basil, or half tube of basil (found in the produce section...LOVE this stuff)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
salt
pepper

Place all of the above ingredients in the food processor and give it a whirl! Yep, it's that simple.

For that little morsel, you are welcome. Time to shower off my stink.


No comments: