Friday, October 22, 2010

Awkward Moments

I, like everyone else on the planet, hate awkward moments. Awkward silences and situations make me cringe. That's why I always hated firsts (first dates, first kisses, first days of school, first days of a new job). Of course, now I look back on them with fond memories, but in the moment I want to run away. Nile and I, however, never really had any awkward moments. Except the time I first farted in front of him by accident. That was awkward. But he married me, so I guess it worked out.

Anyway, I digress. Today I experienced one of those awkward moments I hate. Someone randomly singing in a random place. Like walking down the grocery store aisle and someone starts belting out Amazing Grace. Or someone waiting on you at a retail counter and they start singing some Rihana.

When that happens, what are you supposed to say?

"Wow, you're a great singer. You should audition for American Idol."

"Why are you working at the (grocery store, Old Navy, bank), when you should clearly be on Broadway."

Or, do you take my approach? Try to diffuse the situation by making yourself look busy doing something else. Becoming super interested in the tabloids while in the grocery store line or becoming incredibly engrossed with my cell phone. And I always avoid making eye contact. However, in instances where I can find an escape route, I briskly remove myself from the situation.

So awkward. Maybe it's just me?

No comments: