Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Blizzard Bound Low-Fat Mac and Cheese A La Heather

Being cooped up inside during a snowstorm always makes me want to cook for some reason. I was craving Mac and Cheese because it's my ultimate comfort food, but wanted something lower in fat and calories (since I obviously won't be going to Spinning anytime soon with all this snow.)

In my brief moments of Betty Crockerness, I came up with this low-fat recipe (with help from the Weight Watchers website), that was amazing...if I do say so myself. Nile says so too.

So for you all, I share my culinary creation:

Blizzard Bound Light Mac and Cheese A La Heather

1/2 pound Barilla Whole Grain Elbow Macaroni
3 tbsp light butter (I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter)
1 tbsp flour
2 cups skim milk
1/4 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup Asiago cheese, shredded
1/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 cup broccoli florets
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup bread crumbs
salt
pepper
 1 tsp nutmeg (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook macaroni according to package directions.

In medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. When butter is melted, add flour, stirring constantly. Add milk gradually and bring to a boil. Add both cheeses, bring the heat to medium, stir until melted. Add sour cream, garlic powder, mustard, broccoli, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and combine with bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Combine macaroni and sauce, and pour into a greased casserole dish. Top with breadcrumbs and bake for 20 minutes or until top has browned.

Enjoy! Let me know what you think!

No comments: